Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM) Units in SALHN
The Southern Adelaide Local Health Network (SALHN) GEM units provide hospital based specialist geriatric rehabilitation services. This includes comprehensive and responsive assessment and care planning in consultation with the older person, their family, carer and current community services involved in their care, allowing for restoration and rehabilitation in addition to the management of medical conditions.
GEM based care provides an interdisciplinary approach and is based on principles of best practice management of older people.
Services available within GEM units include:
- Geriatrician assessment and intervention
- Comprehensive allied health assessment and therapy including:
- Occupational therapy
- Social work
- Speech pathology
- Nursing care
Interdisciplinary assessment within GEM focuses on the following domains:
- Cognitive status
- Psycho-social assessment
- Nutrition (malnutrition and micro-nutrient deficiencies, obesity)
- Mobility, balance and exercise tolerance
- Environment, daily activity patterns and function
- Medication interactions
- Review of swallowing, vision and dentition as deemed necessary
Older people who met the following criteria will be considered for admission to GEM:
- Aged 65 years or older (45 years or older for ATSI persons)
- Reside in the community (low level care residents will be considered)
- Require a trial of therapy to determine whether potential for recovery exists
- Require a complex, inter-disciplinary assessment, not available in another unit
- Have a co-existent physical and/or mental disability that is at least moderate (defined as needing assistance with at least 2 ADL’s or IADL’s)
- Those who on aged care clinical judgement has a significant likelihood of returning home after treatment or where their disability is potentially reversible or manageable
Referrals can be made to GEM by contacting the GEM Triage Nurse Consultant.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 7.30am to 4.00pm
Ph: 0401 146 741
Referrals to GEM@Home will be triaged based on clinical need and service availability.
Please complete the referral form (PDF 160KB) and send via email or fax as detailed below.
Phone: (08) 7425 0346
Fax: (08) 8124 1435
For further information please visit GEM@Home.