The 2024 SA Health Nurses and Midwives Study Assistance Program is available to public sector nurses and midwives only.
The Study Assistance Program provides financial subsidy to support SA Health registered nurses, midwives and enrolled nurses who demonstrate a commitment to professional practice that is aligned to health care priorities.
Public sector nurses and midwives are provided with a professional allowance to assist with undertaking professional development as required by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) under the Nursing/Midwifery (South Australian Public Sector) Enterprise Agreement 2022.
This allowance is paid into your salary on a fortnightly basis and can be used to pursue studies in nursing and midwifery.
To be eligible for the Study Assistance Program, SA Health nurses and midwives must be studying to attain one of the following qualifications:
- Advanced Diploma - Enrolled Nurses
- Bachelor of Nursing or Bachelor of Midwifery (pre-registration) - Enrolled Nurse pathway
- Graduate Diploma and Bachelor of Midwifery - Registered Nurse pathway
- Graduate Certificate*, Graduate Diploma or Master’s Degree - Registered Nurse or Midwife.
- * Out of scope - Graduate Certificate in Nursing, Midwifery or Nursing-Mental Health (undertaken as part of the funded SAealth Skills and Training Package 2022-2025).
SA Health nurses and midwives must also:
- hold current Australian citizenship or permanent residency
- hold current registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- hold a full or part-time position and be employed for greater than 16 hours per fortnight
- be enrolled in an eligible course in 2024 through an Australian accredited education provider.
The Study Assistance Program will be awarded on the following 2024 clinical key priority areas:
- Chronic Disease Management
- Palliative Care
- Critical Care and Emergency
- Mental Health.
It will also be awarded on the following 2024 non-clinical key priority areas:
- Health Services Management and Leadership
- Digital Health.
Applications for studies in other health related contexts, clinical, or research areas may be considered if applications in the key priority areas in 2024 are under subscribed.
Successful applicants for the 2023 academic year
- Transcript submissions due date - Thursday 1 February 2024
- Payment - April 2024
Applications for the 2024 academic year
- Applications open - Friday 1 December 2023 – Monday 4 March 2024
- Applicants notified - April 2024
- Transcript submissions due date - Friday 31 January 2025
All applications must be submitted using the Nursing and Midwifery portal.
Note: You will not be able to begin a new application prior to the application open date. You must use your personal SA Health login / HAD ID, on a workplace computer to begin and complete the application process.
- SA Health Nurses and Midwives Study Assistance Program – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF 607KB)
- Appendix 1: Acknowledgment of Terms & Conditions (PDF 501KB)
- Appendix 2: Health Unit Supporting Statement (PDF 508KB)
- Appendix 3: Application Checklist (PDF 506KB)
For all enquiries, please email Health.NursingandMidwiferyOfficeScholarships@sa.gov.au.