Pharmacists and Sunrise EMR & PAS
Many public hospitals and healthcare facilities in South Australia use SA Health’s electronic medical record, Sunrise EMR, to manage and document patient care. The system is used in both metropolitan and regional locations – view the list of locations.
In addition to improving clinical and administrative processes, Sunrise EMR delivers improvements to medication management through electronically generated prescriptions.
As a pharmacist working in the community, it is possible you may be presented with Sunrise-generated prescriptions for dispensing by customers.
Sunrise electronic prescriptions
- In some instances, dosing instructions on Sunrise-generated prescriptions may appear in an unfamiliar format – download the Sunrise EMR & PAS for Community Pharmacists fact sheet (PDF 254KB) to view an example.
- Whilst the prescription is generated electronically, each prescription must also include the prescriber’s handwritten signature as shown in the Sunrise EMR & PAS for Community Pharmacists fact sheet (PDF 254KB).
- Sunrise EMR generates both printed PBS and non-PBS prescriptions.
- Sunrise-generated prescriptions are compliant with the Australian Government Active Ingredient Prescribing (PDF 348KB) legislation that came into effect on 1 February 2021.
- Sunrise prescriptions are approved by Medicare and can be dispensed at community pharmacies.
Sunrise-generated prescriptions are not integrated with a Prescription Exchange Service (PES) and therefore will not appear in ScriptCheckSA.
Clinicians should be aware that Sunrise EMR prescription data for monitored drugs is submitted to the DDU retrospectively (e.g. at the end of each month) and is not real-time data.
If you are uncertain about any information printed on Sunrise-generated prescription presented to you for dispensing, please speak to the prescriber by contacting the SA Health hospital or healthcare service where the prescription was generated.
If it is not possible to contact the prescriber, contact the hospital's Pharmacy Department directly.
Sunrise and My Health Record
Sunrise EMR is state-based patient electronic medical record that is different to the federal government’s My Health Record; however, they do overlap in some instances. If you would like to know more, view information for GPs.
Patient privacy in Sunrise
Sunrise EMR keeps patient medical information private and secure, and it is not possible to opt out of the system – view information for patients, families and community.