Weight Management Services for SALHN
Surgical (BMI) Weight Management Service
The BMI Service triage and assess patient referrals and determine a patients’ eligibility for bariatric surgery. The patients commit to a 6 month allied health services program to provide them with pre-operative lifestyle change and self-management skills in preparation for surgery.
Patients are eligible to attend the SALHN BMI Clinic if they have been referred for bariatric surgery at SALHN and meet the following clinical criteria:
- 18 to 55 years at time of referral (18 to 60 years of age at the time of surgery)
- BMI >35 with 2 co-morbidities or BMI > 45, with 1 comorbidity of:
- Impaired Glucose Tolerance
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Obstructive Sleep Apnoea
- Fatty Liver
- Impaired Mobility
- Cardiac Failure
The BMI Service aims to:
- identify patients that have demonstrated the ability to make lifetime lifestyle change
- provide patients with strategies and interventions aimed at sustainable behavioural change needed to support the surgery.
- reduce the risks associated with surgery and to improve post-surgical recovery and outcomes
The service is aimed at providing pre and post-surgical education and support for people with obesity related issues and promotes self-management, with guidance from a Physician, Nurse, Dietitian, Clinical Psychologist and Exercise Physiologist.
Please ensure patients meet the referral criteria on the referral form. Forms to be saved and integrated into relevant GP Practice systems. See fact sheets for further instructions.
Templates for GP systems
Non-surgical weight management services
SA Health offer a free, confidential health coaching service for people to find a happier, healthier self through motivation and direct, reliable, easy to understand information and resources.
We encourage people to be referred to the SA Health 'Get Healthy' telephone coaching and information service. Patients can access 10 free sessions (via telephone) for up to six months.
Patients are allocated a qualified allied health professional as their health coach for the duration of their intervention.
Telephone: (08) 7425 8200
Fax: (08) 7425 8248