Volunteers at Flinders Medical Centre
Volunteers at Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) raise millions of dollars to improve facilities and care at our hospital. The proceeds from the volunteer retail and patient areas also contribute to medical research and equipment that improves the quality of care for our community.
Our volunteers give their time, talent and creativity to contribute around 135,000 hours of volunteer service each year. Everyone agrees that the strong partnership between staff and volunteers adds warmth to the hospital culture and provides an extra dimension in patient care.
Volunteers work in patient services and in retail areas. Wherever they work, our volunteers are getting involved, being active and having a voice in their community.
Since its inception in 1975, the Volunteer Service for the Flinders Medical Centre Inc has donated nearly $16 million back into the hospital to help improve facilities and patient care, as well as support medical research.
The self-funded, not-for-profit organisation currently has 372 active volunteers who carry out many valuable services across FMC, Noarlunga Hospital, and the Repat Health Precinct. The service also supports Spiritual Care, Arts In Health, the Repat Museum and the Veterans Wellbeing Centre. Our volunteers serve in many ways.
Support areas include (but are not limited) to:
- Volunteer Guide Service
- Ward Service/Visitations
- Pet Therapy
- ICU and Emergency Department Services
- Music Therapy
- Day Supervisor
- Cancer Services
The Volunteer Service run a number of retail outlets across hospitals, including:
- Volunteer Coffee Shop (Level 2), Monday to Friday, 8.30am - 3.00pm
- Volunteer Café Bar (Level 3, next to the Emergency Department), Monday to Friday, 10.00am - 3.00pm
- Volunteer Tea Bar (Level 2, adjacent to the clinics), Monday to Friday, 10.00am - 2.00pm
- Poppie's Cafe (Level 3, RAP Building), Monday to Friday, 7.30am - 2.00pm
- Courtyard Grill (Level 2), Tuesday to Friday, 11.30am - 2.00pm
- Volunteer Gift Shop (Level 1, main entrance)
Monday to Friday, 8.00am - 4.00pm
Saturday, 10.00am - 2.00pm
Sunday, 11.00am - 4.00pm
- Noarlunga Pop-up shop - giftware (main entrance, Noarlunga Hospital), Monday to Friday, 9.30am - 12.30pm
Becoming a volunteer
Becoming a volunteer at Flinders Medical Centre, Noarlunga Hospital or the Repat Health Precinct has a number of benefits. If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please visit Becoming a volunteer page.
PhD Enterprise Scholarship
We are proud to connect with talented new researchers by supporting a PhD Enterprise Scholarship Opportunity. To find out more, contact Simon Windsor, Manager, Research Governance and Ethics, Office for Research.
- Annual Report 2022 — Volunteer Service for Flinders Medical Centre Inc (PDF 2MB)
- Annual Report 2019/2020 — Volunteer Service for Flinders Medical Centre Inc (PDF 966KB)
- Annual Report 2018/2019 — Volunteer Service for Flinders Medical Centre Inc (PDF 11MB)