Rheumatology Services at Flinders Medical Centre
The Rheumatology Unit at Flinders Medical Centre (FMC) offers a full range of inpatient and outpatient services. The unit plays an active role in teaching, clinical and scientific research, through Flinders University.
Early recognition of an inflammatory joint condition or a connective tissue disorder can be critical in implementing effective disease management, minimizing joint and end organ damage and assisting in a rapid return to good health.
A rheumatologist is a specialist physician who has expertise in a wide range of conditions, ranging from inflammatory and non-inflammatory joint conditions, muscle and bone disorders.
Clinics run from FMC include general rheumatology (Clinic B, level 2), Biologics Clinic (Clinic B), New Patient Clinic (medical clinics level 2) and Inflammatory Skin Clinic (medical clinic Level 2).
Rheumatology clinics are also run by the SALHN rheumatology service at GP Plus Marion and the Noarlunga Hospital.
The following are examples of conditions managed by the Rheumatology Unit at FMC:
- Seronegative Inflammatory Arthritis including Psoriatic Arthritis, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Arthritis associated with Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Reactive Arthritis
- Auto-immune connective tissue diseases including Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, Scleroderma and Sjogren’s Syndrome
- Degenerative arthritis
- Crystal arthritis including Gout
- Metabolic bone disorders, particularly Osteoporosis and Paget’s Disease
- Inflammatory muscle diseases
- Soft tissue Rheumatic disorders including painful shoulder, elbow and foot conditions, tendonitis and polymyalgia rheumatica
Chronic Pain states are not managed by the rheumatology unit.
Referrals are accepted from general practitioners and other medical specialists by telephone, fax or post.
Head - Professor Michael Shanahan
Location: Rheumatology Unit, level 2
Telephone: (08) 8204 6429
Fax: (08) 8204 4150
Rheumatology Clinic at Flinders Medical Centre
Rheumatology Clinic at Marion GP Plus
Rheumatology Clinic at Noarlunga Hospital