Governance for safety and quality
Governance incorporates the set of processes, customs, policy directives, laws and conventions affecting the way an organisation is directed, administered or controlled.
Standard One: Clinical Governance, within the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards (second edition) describes integrated systems that maintain and improve the reliability and quality of patient care, as well as improve patient outcomes, including the following four criteria:
- Governance, leadership and culture - Leaders at all levels in the organisation set up and use clinical governance systems to improve the safety and quality of health care for patients.
- Patient safety and quality systems - Safety and quality systems are integrated with governance processes to enable organisations to actively manage and improve the safety and quality of health care for patients.
- Clinical performance and effectiveness - The workforce
hasthe right qualifications, skills and supervision to provide safe, high quality health careto patients.
- Safe environment for the delivery of care - The environment promotes safe and high-quality health care for patients.
The SA Health Governance for Safety and Quality in Health Service Organisations Accreditation Resource (PDF 240KB) has been developed to support health services and provides examples of South Australian tools and resources that can be used to demonstrate an action and standard has been met.
Safety and Quality Work Plan 2017-2019
The Safety and Quality Work Plan 2017-2019 (PDF 395KB) identifies the priorities for SA Health to improve the safety and quality of care provided to consumers across SA Health organisations.
SA Health is committed to providing a safe, high quality, accessible health care system for all South Australians.
Divisions of the Department for Health and Welling, the Safety and Quality Unit and Local Health Networks will all play a critical role in achieving this, through working in partnership with health services, staff, consumers and the community.
Key SA Health policy frameworks and toolkits
- Charter of Health and Community Services
- Consumer engagement
- Consumer feedback and complaint management
- Coronial process
- Accreditation resources for National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards
- Part 7 - Protected committees for Safety and Quality assessments
- Patient incident management and open disclosure
- Root Cause Analysis, including Root Cause Analysis training
- Safety Alert Broadcast System
- Standards and accreditation for safety and quality in healthcare.
Associate Director, Quality Systems
Telephone: (08) 8226 6971