Volunteer Service at Flinders Medical Centre
Volunteers at Flinders Medical Centre raise millions of dollars to improve facilities and care at our hospital. The proceeds from the volunteer retail and patient areas also contribute to medical research and equipment that improves the quality of care for our community.
Over 600 volunteers give their time, talent and creativity to contribute around 135,000 hours of volunteer service each year. Everyone agrees that the strong partnership between staff and volunteers adds warmth to the hospital culture and provides an extra dimension in patient care.
Volunteers work in patient services and in retail areas. Wherever they work, our volunteers are getting involved, being active and having a voice in their community.
Benefits to volunteering
- build friendships and networks
- increase confidence and achieve self-satisfaction
- work in a friendly team
- develop your skills and knowledge
- be involved in decisions about programs and services
- be appreciated
- make a difference
The Volunteer Service for Flinders Medical Centre ensures that our volunteers have the skills needed to work safely and that they are trained in:
- workplace safety
- food safety
- fire safety
- manual handling
- barista training
- cash register training
- customer service training
Ensuring a rewarding experience
Volunteering at Flinders can be a rewarding experience. We support you in all aspects of your time with us. It is important to recognise, applaud and value the contribution made by volunteers to the Volunteer Service.
- Service awards are one way of doing this
- Enjoy a complimentary coffee on us
- Join us at our annual Christmas Party
- Participate in National Volunteer Week
- Special morning teas with fellow volunteers
- Complimentary volunteer service t-shirt to wear on duty
How to become a volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, you will need to book into an information session. At this session, we will take you on a tour of some of the areas and provide you with all the information you need to know about volunteering with our service including an application form. We will also discuss the requirement to undergo a National Police Check.