Drug and Alcohol Services South Australia
Drug and Alcohol Services South Australia (DASSA) is a statewide health service that offers a range of prevention, treatment and education services for people with alcohol, and other drug issues.
DASSA is responsible to the Minister for Mental Health and Substance Abuse and is part of the Department for Health and Ageing; providing policy and planning advice to the Minister and the Chief Executive of the Department for Health and Ageing.
To achieve this, DASSA:
- advises on a whole-of-government approach to
preventthe use of illicit drugs and the misuse of licit drugs
- advises on policy relating to tobacco, alcohol and other drugs
- provides or brokers a range of prevention, intervention and treatment programs across the State with a particular focus on
high riskgroups and behaviours
- advises on evidence-based practice
- participates in research.
DASSA in partnership with South Australia
DASSA also leads efforts to achieve
- Target 80: Smoking - Reduce the smoking rate to 10% of the population and halve the smoking rate of Aboriginal South Australians by 2018 (baseline: 2008)
- Target 81: Alcohol consumption - Reduce the proportion of South Australians who drink at risky levels by 30% by 2020 (baseline: 2007)
- South Australia's Strategic Plan (Target 80 smoking, Target 81 alcohol consumption)
- SA Health Strategic Plan 2017-2020
- South Australian Alcohol and Other Drug Strategy 2017-2021 (PDF 460KB)
- South Australian Tobacco Control Strategy 2017-2020
- The National Drug Strategy 2017-2026 and the National Tobacco Strategy 2012-2018
- South Australian Methamphetamine Action Plan: Stop the Hurt
- Demand reduction strategies designed to prevent the uptake of harmful drug use and to reduce drug use
- Harm reduction strategies designed to reduce the harms associated with drug use for individuals and communities
- Supply reduction strategies designed to disrupt the production and supply of illicit drugs.
DASSA operates under the legislative framework provided by the following Acts of Parliament related to alcohol, tobacco