Referral to emergency
If any of the following are present or suspected, please refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
- upper airway obstruction and/or stridor
For clinical advice, please telephone the relevant metropolitan Local Health Network switchboard and ask to speak to the relevant specialty service.
Central Adelaide Local Health Network
Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
Southern Adelaide Local Health Network
- Flinders Medical Centre (08) 8204 5511
Category 1 — appointment clinically indicated within 30 days
- suspicious oropharyngeal (lip, tongue, hard/soft palate, uvula, floor of mouth) lesion or mass with any of the following:
- non-healing oropharynx ulcer for > 4 weeks
Category 2 — appointment clinically indicated within 90 days
Category 3 — appointment clinically indicated within 365 days
For information on referral forms and how to import them, please view general referral information.
Essential referral information
Completion required before first appointment to ensure patients are ready for care. Please indicate in the referral if the patient is unable to access mandatory tests or investigations as they incur a cost or are unavailable locally.
- identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- identify within your referral if you feel your patient is from a vulnerable population and/or requires a third party to receive correspondence on their behalf
- interpreter requirements
- history and duration of symptoms and management
- presence of red flags
- history of smoking/vaping, chewing tobacco, chewing betel nut and alcohol use
- presence of sharp or chipped teeth
- copies of relevant reports and results