Cardiology outpatient service in CALHN
The Cardiology Clinics at Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) offer public and private (Medicare bulk billed) services for people with adult cardiovascular disease. The clinics consult with:
- new outpatients
- continuing outpatients
- former inpatients requiring follow up.
Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH)
Outpatient Department, Level 3F.2
Royal Adelaide Hospital
Port Road SA 5000
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital (TQEH)
Outpatient Department, Ground Floor, Area 2 / Area 4
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
28 Woodville Road, Woodville SA 5011
Clinic operating times
Clinics at RAH
- Clinics operate five days a week for patients with various cardiac conditions including ischaemic heart disease, coronary heart disease, arrhythmias, pacemaker clinics, rapid access chest pain clinic, transcatheter aortic valve implantation clinic, congenital heart conditions and hypertension.
Clinics at TQEH
- Clinics operate Monday, Thursday and Friday for general cardiology and specialist heart failure and arrhythmia clinics operate weekly. Rapid access clinics operate in conjunction with regular clinics.
- We also offer cardiac rehabilitation and weekly pacemaker follow up clinics undertaken by technicians.
Named referrals preferred.
- Dr Peter Steele – Head of Unit
- Dr Rajiv Mahajan
- Dr Dale Ashby
- Dr Joseph Montarello
- Dr Julie Bradley
- Dr Isuru Ranasinghe
- Dr Michael Brown
- Dr Kurt Roberts-Thompson
- Dr Enzo De Angelis
- Dr Mitra Shirazi
- Dr Patrick Disney
- Dr Ivan Straznicky
- Prof Derick Frewin
- Dr Richard Yeend
- Dr John Beltrame – Head of Unit
- Dr Alicia Chan
- Dr Daniel Ninio
- Dr Peter Sage
Refer your patient
Fax referral to us
We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.
All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency. Patients who are unstable and requiring immediate assessment should be sent directly to the Emergency Department.
To refer your patient, follow the outpatient service information, triage and referral guidelines, complete and fax a referral to us. For urgent referrals, also contact the registrar on call to discuss the case. Our registrars are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.
If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the Registrar on-call via the hospitals' switchboard telephone: (08) 7074 0000 (RAH) or (08) 8222 6000 (TQEH).
To make a referral
Fax: (08) 7074 6247
Telephone: 1300 153 853
Fax: (08) 8222 7188
Telephone: (08) 8222 7030
Post discharge guidelines and information
Patients whose cardiology condition has stabilised or resolved and for whom no further appointment has been made will be formally discharged. If cardiology assessment is required again, a new referral, explaining the reason should be faxed to us.
As only the GP referral is available to the specialist at the time of triage, simply requesting review without providing information about the problem is insufficient and will lead to significant delays in assessing the referral which will most likely be returned to you for more information.
Health Pathways South Australia is an online portal designed to be used by general practice at the point of care to guide best practice assessment, management and referral of common clinical conditions.
How to access that clinic
Referral from your GP
You need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral letter to us. We will be in contact with you within clinically recommended times, depending on waiting list length. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
Please refer to the information sheets below for information regarding the outpatient service.
- CALHN Specialist outpatient clinics FAQs (PDF 255KB)
- CALHN Outpatient Clinic Appointments patient information and responsibilities (PDF 244KB)
Please refer to the outpatient map below and present to your designated clinic on the day of your appointment.