New smoke-free and vape-free outdoor area laws
From 1 March 2024, new laws will ban smoking and vaping in a variety of public outdoor areas in South Australia. Regulations under the South Australian Tobacco and E-Cigarette Products Act 1997 are being introduced to address risks associated with passive tobacco smoking and passive inhalation of e-cigarette aerosol. This will occur through the creation of smoke-free and vape-free areas in the following areas:
- at early childhood services premises, and education and children’s services facilities (including schools), and within ten (10) metres of their boundaries
- at and within ten (10) metres of non-residential building entrances, such as entrances to shopping centres, government and commercial buildings
- at public hospitals and health facilities, private hospitals and residential aged care facilities, and within ten (10) metres of their boundaries
(note: the regulation for residential aged care facilities will come into operation 12 months after the day on which the other regulations are made)
- within outdoor public swimming facilities
- at major events venues declared under the Major Events Act 2013
- at and within ten (10) metres of a sporting venue during an organised underage sporting event, training or practice session
- on beaches between and within fifty (50) metres of red and yellow patrol flags, and under (and within five (5) metres of) jetties.
Download the guide to the new smoke-free and vape-free laws (PDF 4MB).
A5 'Smoke-free and vape-free area' stickers
A5 ‘smoke-free and vape-free area’ stickers are free of charge and can be ordered using the below form. Mail out of the stickers will commence the week of 15 January 2024.
- The purpose for submission of this information is to request stickers.
- The information will not be used for any other purpose.
- This form is an embedded third party application and information is managed through the service provider in the USA.
- Please read SA Health Disclaimer and Privacy notice for further information.
Downloadable ‘smoke-free and vape-free’ signage
A variety of ‘smoke-free and vape-free’ signs have been designed for use in different smoke-free areas. All you need to do is download the artwork for your selected sign and either print it in-house or take it to a printer or signage company to have it professionally produced.