Healthy food and drink choices in SA Health facilities
As part of the South Australian Government’s commitment to preventing overweight and obesity, a policy was introduced to ensure healthy food is available for staff and visitors in all South Australian Government health services and facilities, including central and regional offices.
This mandatory policy applies to all situations where food and drinks are provided including cafeterias, kiosks, cafes, shops, vending machines, catering for functions, meetings, training and client education programs as well as fundraising, advertising and sponsorship. Changes required were phased in over an 18 month implementation period with compliance required from 1 October 2010.
An evaluation of the implementation of the Healthy Food and Drink policy was conducted between December 2011 and February 2012 as part of pre-planned policy evaluation activities. Site mandatory self-reporting utilising a reporting questionnaire template was undertaken. Overall, SA Health facilities have made substantial progress towards achieving the key requirements of the policy and recommendations have been made to further strengthen its implementation.
- Key evaluation findings (PDF 842KB)
- Evaluation summary report (PDF 201KB) describes the method undertaken for the site reporting and summarises the results and overall findings.
Fact sheets and frequently asked questions
- Frequently asked questions (PDF 84KB)
- Food and drinks guide (PDF 611KB)
- Getting ready for healthier choices (PDF 93KB)
- Recommended supply of food and drinks (PDF 92KB)
- Summary of nutrient criteria (PDF 90KB)
- Healthy catering ideas for meetings, functions and events (PDF 111KB)
- Healthy fundraising ideas (PDF 101KB)
- Healthy Food and Drink Choices: SA Health making healthy food and drink choices easier (PDF 157KB)
- Healthy Food and Drink Choices: SA Health making healthy food and drink choices easier for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders (PDF 183KB)
- A3 educational poster (PDF 467KB)
- A4 educational poster (PDF 486KB)
- A3 promotional poster (PDF 109KB)
- A4 promotional poster (PDF 300KB)