BloodSafe education and training
An eLearning program has been developed by SA Health to build an individual’s knowledge of blood and to encourage safe transfusion practice and the appropriate use of blood components.
This program is a web based training course suitable for a range of professionals including:
- nurses and midwives
- laboratory scientists and technicians
- couriers, porters and assistants
All courses are funded by all Australian governments and are free to Australian users.
The eLearning program supports attainment of Accreditation under the National Safety and Quality Health Service Standard 7 for Blood and Blood Products.
Online courses relating to transfusion practice include:
- Clinical Transfusion Practice
- Collecting Blood Specimens
- Transporting Blood
Online courses relating to patient blood management include:
- Patient Blood Management
- Critical Bleeding
- Critical Care
- Iron Deficiency Anaemia (essentials, preoperative, paediatric, heavy menstrual bleeding, maternity)
- Medical and Specialties (Cancer, Cardiac, Chronic Kidney Disease, Chronic Transfusion, Gastrointestinal)
- Obstetrics and Maternity (Obstetric Haematology, Obstetric Blood Management, Postpartum Haemorrhage)
- Neonates and Paediatrics (PBM for Neonates and Paediatrics, and a series of specialty case-based courses: Paediatric Haematology / Oncology, Neonatal Preterm, Fetal Neonatal Alloimmune Thrombocytopenia, Paediatric Surgical, Paediatric Major Haemorrhage, Paediatric Iron-deficiency Anaemia))
- Viscoelastic Haemostatic Testing.
The BloodSafe eLearning Australia courses can be accessed for free upon registration.
There is also an Iron Deficiency Anaemia app, which is available for iOS (Apple) and Android operating systems.
The training is delivered in a variety of formats including video, audio, printable downloads and interactive media tasks. The courses are now accessible from mobile devices (iPad and tablet).