This site contains the South Australian Clinical Prioritisation Criteria (CPC) for most frequently referred geriatric medicine conditions.
Geriatric medicine conditions
Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all conditions for outpatient services and does not exclude consideration for referral unless specifically stipulated in the geriatric medicine exclusions section.
Out of scope
Not all medical conditions are covered by the CPC, as certain conditions may be considered out of scope or managed by other specialist services:
- falls associated with a known medical condition eg, postural hypotension, or movement disorder – refer to the specialist service for assessment/review
- post-concussive symptoms - refer to South Australia Brain InjuryRehabilitation Services (SA BIRS)
- head trauma/suspected head injury (not meeting threshold for emergency presentation) – refer to Neurosurgery
- primary psychiatric condition – consider referral to the Older Persons Mental Health Service
Exclusions for public specialist outpatient services
Not all geriatric medicine conditions are appropriate for referral into the South Australian public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public specialist outpatient service:
- driving assessments – refer to occupational therapy statewide driving fitness assessment clinic
- improving/resolving delirium
- testamentary capacity assessment
See the individual condition pages for more specific emergency information.
We welcome requests for further information or feedback on the CPC and website, please refer to the relevant form below.
Please email the completed form to Health.CPC@sa.gov.au.
The Geriatric Medicine CPC is due for review in October 2025.