The Lyell McEwin Hospital is celebrating 60 years of caring for the community.
Lyell McEwin Hospital Fast Facts
- The Lyell McEwin Hospital and Modbury Hospital are part of the Northern Adelaide Local Health Network (NALHN), which provides health services for around 400,000 people living in northern Adelaide, as well as people in regional areas.
- The Lyell McEwin Hospital is one of three Tertiary hospitals in the State and provides a full range of major complex obstetric, medical, surgical and diagnostic, and support services to those living in the north.
- The northern area of Adelaide is currently the highest population growth area in South Australia, and by 2026 it is expected a quarter of the state’s population will live in the northern metropolitan catchment area.
- The population of the Playford Council area alone is forecast to grow by almost 40 per cent by 2036 from 96,000 now to 132,000.
- The Lyell McEwin Hospital is the biggest employer in the City of Playford, employing over 5,000 people.
- More than 103,000 babies have been born at the Lyell McEwin Hospital.
- The Hospital Research Foundation has donated $4.6 million to research and projects in NALHN since 2017.
- The Lyell McEwin Hospital will be the centrepiece of the proposed Playford Health Precinct development, which will cluster together a range of public and private health services for the local community and the wider Northern region.