How to create a healthy workplace
Here’s our step-by-step resource to guide your workplace, small or large, in planning and implementing your own health and wellbeing program, or strengthening an existing one.
People, places and vision
We recognise that incorporating a mix of environmental, organisational and staff centred activities is critical to a successful workplace health and wellbeing program and encourage you to invest in a combination within your program.
People: focusses on individual needs such as improving access to services and information, improving health knowledge and skills of staff.
Places: addresses environmental factors preventing individuals from becoming healthy and offers resources to actively encourage healthy behaviour (e.g. bike racks; shower facilities etc.).
Vision: considers social perceptions and commitment of management; encouraging business to consider how usual practice might support and encourage healthy behaviours (e.g. flexible work; smoke-free policies etc.).
Each of the four steps within the Healthy Workers Healthy Workers - Healthy Futures Toolkit (PDF 1.7MB) contains a step by step checklist, fact sheets and templates that you can personalise according to the needs of your organisation.
The fact sheets and templates complement the toolkit so it is useful to have a copy of the toolkit open as you download each fact sheet or template.
- Step One: getting started
- Step Two: needs assessment
- Step Three: action
- Step Four: monitor and review.
You can order a copy of the comprehensive Healthy Workers Toolkit to be sent to your workplace, download a copy (PDF 1.7MB) or follow the steps on our webpages.
Healthy Workers Across Industry Program
SA Health is proud to be working with Business SA to deliver a Healthy Workers Across Industry Program. This innovative pilot program aims to provide advice and support to peak industries and industry associations on how they can address health and wellbeing as a value add for their members.
The Healthy Workers Adviser will provide expert advice to address the health and wellbeing needs and challenges experienced by industry. For more information please contact Kylie Cocks, Healthy Workers Adviser, on 0477 992 298 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Business SA’s new Healthy Workers Adviser can:
- Engage with your peak body and industry association to explore its health and wellbeing strengths and opportunities
- Can work with you to enhance a pre-existing industry mechanisms or programs which support workplace health and wellbeing
- Work with you to develop or enhance new workplace health and wellbeing initiatives for your industry and its member businesses
- Financial contributions are available to encourage the creation or enhancement of industry-led healthy workplace initiatives
What financial contributions are available?
There are two types of financial contributions available to peak bodies and industry associations:
- Small Incentives up to the value of $2,000 – for the incentive guideline and online application form. These are available from October through to May 2019.
- High Impact grants from $2,001 up to $15,000 – for the grant guideline and application form. The closing date for these grants is 9.00 am Monday 3 December 2018.