SA Health: Your official portal to public health services, hospitals, health information and health careers in South Australia
SA Healthy Towns Challenge Grant Winners 2018/19
Forty-two applications were received in Round 1 of the SA Healthy Towns Challenge. Congratulations to the six successful recipients and a big thank you to all the 42 applicants.
- Uniting Country SA, Port Pirie: FoodHub Health and Wellbeing Project
Activities at the Port Pirie FoodHub will focus on healthy eating, disease prevention and minimising lead absorption, including the training of FoodHub volunteers in food hygiene, cooking and relevant points of referral.
- The Barossa Community Co-operative Store (The Co-Op): A Healthy Choice
A project targeting rural adults identified as having a high risk of developing cardiovascular disease through increasing the community’s motivation and capacity to be active and eat healthily within a supportive community context to support improved heart health.
- Dunjiba Community Council: Oodnadatta Community Bike Program
This project is centred on establishing a holiday program engaging children and young people in cycling and nutrition-related activities in the isolated town of Oodnadatta.
- Fregon Anangu School, APY Lands: Bikes Palya Healthy Lifestyle Program
The project involves special visits by youth program, Bikes Palya, to promote physical activity across eight APY Lands community schools, as part of addressing long-term obesity and diabetes.
- Wakefield Regional Council: Lettuce Grow - Balaklava Community Garden Project
This project involves the production of a community garden with complementary programs including weekly Green Gym and nutrition and dietetics workshops, as well as a propagation shade house.
- Wudinna District Council: Shared Pathways to Better Health
The development and enhancement of shared walking and cycle paths in the Wudinna district will support regular walking programs, new physical activity events and increased social interaction.