Falls and preventing harm from falls
Did you know that every day about 42 older people are admitted to an SA public hospital injured after a fall? Read more about how many South Australians are affected by falls (PDF 147KB). Falls don’t have to be an inevitable part of ageing. Learn what you can do to keep safe and independent (PDF 150KB).
How safe are you from falling? Falls prevention self-screen checklist
People who are active and look after their health and their home are protecting themselves against the risk of falls. You may not know if you are at risk. Early detection of falls risk is important to avoid injury and keep your independence and mobility.
If you are over 50 please take a couple of minutes to complete the Are you at risk of falling? Self-screen checklist (PDF 119KB). It will give you a guide as to how safe you are from falling, and the areas of your health that might need your attention. If you have osteoporosis, your risk of injury maybe higher.
This checklist is not intended to indicate or assign a level of risk of falls to the individual.
Are you at risk of falling? Falls prevention self-screen checklist
- Greek (PDF 495KB)
- Italian (PDF 344KB)
- Macedonian (PDF 334KB)
- Polish (PDF 430KB)
- Serbian (PDF 395KB)
- Spanish (PDF 466KB)
- Turkish (PDF 387KB)
- Vietnamese (PDF 310KB)
Finding your local falls services
Please see falls prevention services.
If you are unsure, telephone 1300 0 FALLS (1300 0 32557) for information about services in the metropolitan area.
For Country SA services, please contact your local community health service for information about services that are available close to you. You can also contact the Falls Program Manager on Health.CHSAFallsPreventionProject@sa.gov.au
SA Health has produced a series of fact sheets related to the prevention of falls:
- Strong muscles and bones fact sheet (PDF 244KB)
- Eyesight and walking fact sheet (PDF 324KB)
- Medicines and balance fact sheet (PDF 200KB)
- Dizziness and balance fact sheet (PDF 175KB)
- Keeping safe and independent in hospital fact sheet (PDF 231KB)
- Comfy feet go a long way (PDF 268KB)
- Standing up to falls fact sheet (PDF 285KB)
- Making your home your haven fact sheet (PDF 383KB)
- Strong and steady fact sheet (PDF 324KB)
- New mums and bub can fall too fact sheet (PDF 105KB).
There is also a more extensive booklet, Don’t fall for it - falls can be prevented booklet (PDF 1310KB), as well as a series of posters.
- Don't fall for it. Falls can prevented! (PDF 258KB)
- Prevent falls with safe shoes (PDF 67KB)
- See clearly to prevent falls (PDF 337KB)
- Don't fall for it. Falls can prevented! (PDF 223KB)
- Prevent falls with safe shoes (PDF 376KB)
- See clearly to prevent falls (PDF 341KB)
Safety and Quality
Telephone: (08) 8226 9599