Harmful drug use - drug types
Different drugs contain different chemicals and vary in health effects. Use of a number of drug types can result in tolerance and dependence and some can cause withdrawal when cutting down or stopping use. The below links will take you to a series of fact sheets outlining the individual characteristics of a certain drug type.
- Alcohol (PDF 123KB) - booze, grog, piss, liquor, brew, drink.
- Amphetamines (PDF 125KB) – speed, goey, whiz, crystal, crystal meth, meth, base, paste, ice (see Methamphetamine below).
- Anabolic androgenic steroids (PDF 125KB) – steroids, roids, gear, juice.
- Benzodiazepines (PDF 52KB) - benzos.
- Cannabis (PDF 125KB) – marijuana, grass, pot, dope, hooch, weed, hash, joints, cones, mull, ganga, hydro, yarndi.
- Cocaine (PDF 125KB) – coke, Charlie, blow.
- Ecstasy (PDF 125KB) – E, pills, pingers.
- Hallucinogens (PDF 125KB) – trips, acid, tabs, wangers.
- Heroin (PDF 125KB) – hammer, H, smack, gear, horse, junk, slow.
- Methamphetamine - speed, crystal, crystal meth, meth, base, paste, ice (see amphetamine above).
- Synthetic drugs/emerging psychoactive drugs - synthetic cannabis (Kronic, Spice), herbal highs, herbal ecstasy, bath salts, herbal incense and research chemicals.
- Volatile substances (solvents, inhalants) (PDF 125KB) – petrol, spray paints, glue, laughing gas, gas, sniff, huff, chroming, poppers.