GP or dentist

Emergency Departments are for Emergencies

General Practice

Consider a General Practitioner (GP) for conditions such as:

  • Ear pain
  • Flu
  • Gastro
  • Minor sports injuries
  • Persistent headache
  • Sore throat
  • Sprained ankle.

In situations that are not an emergency, a General Practitioner (GP) may be the best person to provide you with the right care. GPs are also able to provide flu vaccination, which can help reduce the risk of getting the flu, especially during winter.

If the GP thinks a higher level of treatment is needed they will recommend an Emergency Department.

GPs provide a range of services, including:

  • Diagnosis and treatment of medical problems
  • Chronic disease management for conditions such as diabetes
  • Treatment of minor injuries
  • Prescriptions for medicines
  • Preventative immunisations
  • Travel vaccinations
  • Contraceptive and sexual health advice
  • Mental Health Treatment Plans
  • General health advice
  • Advice and guidance on healthy lifestyle choices
  • Referrals to other health and social services.

GPs can develop a Mental Health Treatment Plan to manage mental health conditions. For assistance in a mental health emergency, contact the mental health triage service - telephone 13 14 65 available 24 hours, seven days a week. Other mental health services may also be useful.

Find a GP

If your regular GP is unavailable, consider seeing another GP. Many GPs are open after hours and on weekends and some offer bulk billing, which means services can be provided at no cost.

To find a local GP, including those that bulk bill or are open after hours, visit the National Health Service Directory*.

Other specialist health services may also be useful.

Do you need a dentist?

For toothaches or chipped teeth, a dentist can advise the best course of action. To find a local dentist, visit the National Health Service Directory.

SA Dental Service provides a range of dental services for eligible children and adults at clinics throughout South Australia.

Babies, children and the elderly

Some conditions that are not life-threatening for an adult can be more serious for babies, children and the elderly. If you are unsure or concerned, phone or visit a GP or go to the emergency department.

Find out more about care for children and preventing illness.

This information is a guide only and is not intended to be individual medical advice and should not be considered medical advice, nor is it intended to replace consultation with a qualified doctor or other health care professional.
If symptoms don’t improve, or get worse, phone or visit a GP. In an emergency, always call triple zero (000) for an ambulance.

*The National Health Services Directory is not managed by SA Health and SA Health cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information provided. For the most up to date information, contact the service provider directly.

^ Back to top