Pelvic Mesh Clinic in CALHN
The Central Adelaide Local Health Network (CALHN) has established a dedicated Pelvic Mesh Clinic at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and a clinical referral pathway (PDF 75KB) providing comprehensive multidisciplinary health care for women experiencing major complications related to pelvic mesh implants.
The multidisciplinary service is led by specialist Urogynaecologists / Gynaecologists with ready access to support from:
- Colorectal surgeons
- Specialist continence nurses
- Physiotherapists with an advanced skill level in the pelvic floor medicine
- Diagnostic services
- Pain specialists
- Psychology services
Patients require a valid medical officer referral prior to receiving treatment at the Pelvic Mesh Clinic.
Referrals to the clinic must be submitted using the designated Pelvic Mesh Referral Assessment Forms (available below) and should contain the required minimum information to ensure timely and appropriate decision making.
The information in the referral will be reviewed to determine the clinical urgency of the patient’s condition. All appointments will be scheduled based on the patient’s clinical need.
At the clinic, all women are assisted by a triage nurse who will discuss treatment and care options, help coordinate appointments and provide connection to support services. The triage nurse also communicates directly with all clinicians involved to ensure seamless care and management during treatment.
The Pelvic Mesh Clinic is also able to provide access to other allied health services, such as occupational health, social work, and plastic surgery as required.
As treatment will be individualised, not every woman will need to see all members of the multidisciplinary team.
The team will continue to work together along each woman’s journey.
Further information and resources
The following information has been produced by the Australian Commission of Safety and Quality in Health Care:
Patient referral forms
Please complete a referral form, using one of the options below. The form must be completed and signed by the referring Medical Practitioner and faxed to the Pelvic Mesh Clinic for processing.
Right click on the template required and select and ‘Save Target As’. Save the template to a folder or to the computer desktop.
SA Health (generic) downloadable referral form
Patient referral to SA Health Pelvic Mesh Clinic (PDF 58KB) - For referring practitioners who do not have a practice software package, please complete by hand and fax it and all accompanying documentation to the Pelvic Mesh Clinic.
The below referral templates must not be opened from the website.
Opening a template before it is installed into practice software package will damage automated links within the template.
Best Practice referral form
- Patient referral to SA Health Pelvic Mesh Clinic (Best Practice) (RTF)
Note: - The template must be opened after import into Best Practice software.
- Best Practice referral form download instructions
Medical Director referral form
- Patient referral to SA Health Pelvic Mesh Clinic (Medical Director) (RTF) -
Note: - The template must be opened after import into Medical Director software.
Zedmed referral form
- Patient referral to SA Health Pelvic Mesh Clinic (Zedmed) (RTF)
Note: - The template must be opened after import into Zedmed software.
MedTech referral form
- Patient referral to SA Health Pelvic Mesh Clinic (MedTech) (ZIP 97KB)
Note: - The template must be opened after import into MedTech software.
- Download and Save the MedTech ZIP file from the link above
- Extract the SA Health Pelvic Mesh Patient Referral.mtd file to your computer
- Within the MedTech software: Click on Setup menu and then choose In/Outbox->Outbox Document
- Click on the Actions button then choose the Import Disk option (Medtech Evolution) Alternatively, click on the Outbox Document menu and choose Import Disk (Medtech32)
- Click OK when you see the Insert Diskette popup window
- Browse to where you have saved the SA Health Pelvic Mesh Patient Referral.mtd file
- Click on the Open button
The new Outbox document called SA Health Pelvic Mesh Patient Referral should now be listed in your outbox document template list.
How to access the clinic
Referral from your GP
You need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner to access this service.
Your doctor will need to fax your referral letter to us. We will be in contact with you within clinically recommended times, depending on waiting list length. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time.
Please refer to the information sheets below for information regarding the outpatient service.
- CALHN Specialist outpatient clinics FAQs (PDF 256KB)
- CALHN Outpatient Clinic Appointments patient information and responsibilities (PDF 245KB)
Where to go
Please refer to the outpatient map (PDF 1.25MB) and present to your designated clinic on the day of your appointment.