Country mental health services
Country South Australians have access to a range of specialist mental health services in SA (PDF 77KB), including:
Acute inpatient mental health services
We have a
Community mental health services
Our community mental health services are provided by 13 community mental health teams across country South Australia, including an Intensive Community Program at Whyalla, Mount Gambier
Youth and older persons’ mental health services
We offer youth mental health services for people aged 16-24 and older persons’ mental health services for people aged 65+.
Tele-psychiatry is provided to country South Australians through more than 220 video conferencing units across the Digital Telehealth Network. Contact the telemedicine/
We have a country-wide community rehabilitation service based at Whyalla.
Our other recovery-focused supports and services include:
- treatment and rehabilitation for people with serious and severe mental health issues
- information to assist people to make informed decisions about their treatment
- professional, respectful and inclusive assessment of need and treatment
- coordinated care with consumers, carers and family
andother service providers
- liaison and coordination of treatment with general practitioners and psychiatrists
- connection with services, for example, Aboriginal health, aged care, youth services
andother mental health support services
- spiritually and culturally appropriate support
- access to interpreters when needed.
If you feel that you may be in need of mental health support and have never accessed a mental health service before, have a chat with your GP.
If you require urgent mental health assistance, please call the mental health triage service (the Rural and Remote Distance Consultation and Emergency Triage and Liaison Service) 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 13 14 65.
Country Health SA is funded by the State Government to provide mental health services in hospitals and in the community for people with serious and/or severe mental health conditions.