Diabetes Services for SALHN
Diabetes Care Pathway is a multi-disciplinary, integrated service with Flinders Medical Centre (FMC), Repatriation General Hospital (RGH), Noarlunga Hospital, Endocrinologists, and ICS Diabetes Nurse Educators, dietitians, psychologists, social workers and podiatrists.
The service provides evidence based diabetes care across the continuum from hospital, intermediate care setting and back to primary care. The Team is available to support patients from paediatrics to adults, their families/carers and General Practitioners with the tools to best manage their diabetes in the community. GPs can access rapid access specialist services with comprehensive and timely correspondence provided regarding their patients.
The service targets at risk population groups including people with mental illness and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- Rapid access for management of acute changes in glycaemic control
- Education and clinical management support for newly diagnosed Type 1 diabetes in adults, not requiring emergency intervention
- Education and clinical management support for pre-existing Type 1 diabetes in children
- Education and clinical management support for newly diagnosed and pre-existing Type 2 diabetes in children and adults
- Education for people commencing injectable diabetes medication
- Commencement and management of insulin pump therapy
- Education and training of new starters for Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems and set up for clinical monitoring to enhance treatment for patients
- Hospital in reach
Services not provided
- Management of people without a diagnosis of diabetes (eg pre-diabetes / uncomplicated obesity)
ICS are implementing a single point of entry for all its services, accessed via a number of pathways:
Templates for GP systems
Importing templates into Best Practice - fact sheet (PDF 54KB)
Importing templates into Medical Director - fact sheet (PDF 55KB)
Phone: (08) 7117 0728
Mobile: 0466 503 363
Fax: (08) 7117 0724