Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Unit at Flinders Medical Centre
Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Unit (Karpa Ngarrattendi)
The Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Unit, based at Flinders Medical Centre (FMC), provides an important support service to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander inpatients and their families who access health care at our hospitals.
The unit, which began operating from FMC in November 1997, has the traditional Kaurna name Karpa Ngarrattendi, meaning ‘to support, to heal'.
Between one and five per cent of all patients who use our hospitals are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
Patients, escorts and family are all welcome at the Karpa Ngarrattendi office where you can speak with our helpful staff, enjoy a coffee and access important health programs and information.
The Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officers:
- Provide emotional, social and cultural support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their families who access our hospitals.
- Ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their families have access to mainstream health services.
- Raise awareness and liaise with health professionals to ensure that a culturally sensitive service is being provided and all aspects of the patient’s journey are considered in developing treatment plans.
- Assist with practical needs for patients and their escorts – such as Centrelink, toiletries and banking needs (Basics Card) - while they are in hospital.
- Ensure Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients, their escorts and family understand medical procedures and hospital routines.
- Refer patients with financial, health or social problems to appropriate services.
- Liaise with intra/interstate Patience Assistance Travel Scheme to ensure travel and accommodation arrangements for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander patients and their escorts are confirmed.
The service also extends to Noarlunga Hospital.
For Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples only.
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Consumer and Community Group
The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Consumer and Community Group’s role is to:
- provide advice, feedback and improvement suggestions relating to the healthcare needs and issues of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to enable SALHN to achieve better health and wellbeing outcomes for Aboriginal people
- identify, promote and reflect Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and culture within SALHN buildings and spaces
- provide consumer feedback and input to SALHN on its services, planning and performance in relation to the care and support provided to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people at SALHN.
Location: Level 2 Flinders Medical Centre (near the Koala lifts)
Telephone: (08) 8204 6359
Fax: (08) 8204 5486
Hours: Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm