SAAS MedSTAR emergency medical retrieval services
SAAS MedSTAR is South Australia’s single emergency medical retrieval service.
Responsible for providing care to the critically ill and injured throughout the SA health care region and beyond, SAAS MedSTAR is committed to providing a world leading emergency medical retrieval service. SAAS MedSTAR also operates a 24/7 dedicated paediatric and neonatal service component (SAAS MedSTAR Kids).
In addition, SAAS MedSTAR also provides 24/7 clinical support and advice to country and metropolitan health services and SAAS clinicians.
Our services include:
- specialist consultant delivered medical retrieval advice 24 hours, 7 days a week
- rapid clinical response for patients who need critical care and transport
- emergency transport between hospitals for the critically ill and injured
- rapid response for pre-hospital trauma care
- specially trained teams that provide emergency transport and care for children from birth to 16 years of age and obstetric emergencies
- specialist escorted inter-hospital transfers
- support in medical and surgical emergencies and disaster preparedness and response anywhere in the State
- national and international aeromedical retrievals and repatriation and support to South Australian health practitioners.
Special Operations Team
SAAS’ Special Operations Team works closely with MedSTAR and includes highly trained rescue paramedics.
These rescue paramedics are trained in high-risk and rescue operations including water rescues, cliff rescues and confined space extrications.
They work closely with other emergency services including SA Police, Metropolitan Fire Service, Country Fire Service and the State Emergency Service.
Critically ill and injured patients are retrieved using a range of transport options including:
- emergency ambulances
- kids ambulance
- fixed wing aircraft (MedSTAR contracts the Royal Flying Doctor Service or jet charter)
- commercial flights
- commercial vehicles.
For emergencies 24-hours, 7 days a week telephone 000.
Health professionals' advice line
Health professionals can access specialist advice and MedSTAR Emergency Medical Retrieval services and organise urgent inter-hospital transfers by calling 13STAR (13 78 27).
Rescue Retrieval and Aviation Services Administration
Telephone: (08) 8150 3400
Fax: (08) 8353 4956
Postal address: PO Box 96 Export Park SA 5950
Administration office hours: Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5.00 pm