Watto Purrunna Aboriginal Primary Health Care Service
Watto Purrunna Aboriginal Primary Health Care Service provides a free comprehensive program of culturally sensitive services across Adelaide’s northern and central regions. ‘Watto Purrunna’ is a Kaurna term meaning ‘the branch of life’.
It has four sites that work closely to ensure seamless care for patients and families:
- Corner of Mark Road and Oldham Road, Elizabeth Vale, SA 5112
Telephone: (08) 8182 9206
- 16-22 Clements Street, Dudley Park, SA 5008
Telephone: (08) 8342 2250
- C/o Gilles Plains GP Plus Super Clinic, 1 Gilles Crescent, Hillcrest, SA 5086
Telephone: (08) 7425 8900
- 11 Church Street, Port Adelaide, SA 5015
Telephone: (08) 8240 9611
Clinics are run by Aboriginal Health Practitioners and Aboriginal Clinical Health Workers in partnership with doctors, registered nurses, allied health professionals, wellbeing workers and visiting specialists. There is a strong emphasis on the early detection and prevention of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and some cancers. The service provides a hub for the sharing of up to date information on health and social issues.
Across the four sites, services include:
- Adult and child Well Health Checks
- allied health services:
- nutrition/dietician support
- occupational therapy
- speech therapy
- chronic disease management and care planning
- diabetes education
- health promotion programs for the Aboriginal community
- immunisation services
- medical clinics
- wellbeing support (including counselling and case management)
Kanggawodli also provides short-term accommodation for Aboriginal people over the age of 18 who live more than 100km from Adelaide and who are visiting Adelaide for specialist health services.
To find out more about Watto Purrunna or to make an appointment, phone 8182 9206. For clinical care when the clinics are closed, please phone after-hours medical care on 8130 3458 to arrange an after-hours home visit.