Patient and consumer centred care
SA Health is committed to partnering with our patients and consumers to ensure health information, systems and services meet their needs. Patient and consumer centred care is health care that is respectful of and responsive to, the preferences, needs and values of patients and consumers.
Principles of patient centred care
SA Health is focusing on eight principles of patient centred care and your rights, that are aimed to deliver the best care, and to ensure privacy and dignity are respected at all times.
The key principles of patient centred care approaches include:
- treating patients, consumers, carers and families with dignity and respect
- encouraging and supporting participation in decision making by patients, consumers, carers and families
- communicating and sharing information with patients, consumers, carers and families
- fostering collaboration with patients, consumers, carers, families and health professionals in program and policy development, and in health service design delivery and evaluation.
The eight patient and consumer centred care principles
- Respect for your values, preferences and expressed needs
- Coordination and integration of care
- Information, communication and education
- Physical comfort
- Emotional support and alleviation of fear and anxiety
- Involvement of family and/or carers
- Continuity and transition
- Access to care.
- Staff Information - Respecting patients’ privacy and dignity with patient centred care principles (PDF 541KB)
- Consumer Information - Respecting your privacy and dignity with patient centred care principles (PDF 278KB)
Safety and Quality Unit Telephone: 8226 6539