Homelessness and Oral Health Program
Oral health has a positive impact on physical, mental and social wellbeing.
The Homelessness and Oral Health Program aims to provide an accessible oral health treatment pathway for adults who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
To be eligible for the Homelessness and Oral Health Program clients need to be:
- Homeless or at risk of homelessness, eg. Client does not have suitable accommodation alternatives and their current living arrangement:
- Is a dwelling that is not adequate; or
- Has no tenure, or if their initial tenure is short and not extendable; or
- Does not allow them to have control of, and access to space for, social relations
- Eligible for a Centrelink Concession card
Dental care, including denture treatment, is free and there are no waiting lists.
Homeless Support Agency Workers complete a program referral form and email to: HealthSADSServicePlanning@sa.gov.au
On receipt of the referral, the Homelessness and Oral Health Program team or dental clinic staff liaise with service providers and/or directly with the client regarding dental appointment details.
Referred clients are allocated a dental appointment according to the urgency of their dental problem.
Clients who report, or are observed to have any of the following, will require an emergency dental appointment:
- Facial swelling; with or without signs of general infection such as fever, malaise and/or
- difficulty opening the mouth
- Traumatic injury to face/teeth
- Uncontrolled bleeding from the mouth
In the case of a life-threatening oral emergency which requires immediate review, clients need to contact their closest public dental clinic or if after hours, public hospital emergency department.
Clients with non-urgent dental problems will be allocated a priority appointment according to availability.
Further information for clients
To find out more about whether you are eligible for the Homelessness and Oral Health Program, please speak to your Homeless Support Agency Worker.
Further information for Homeless Support Agency Workers
Please e-mail: HealthSADSServicePlanning@sa.gov.au if you have any questions about the program and how to refer your clients.