Placements with South Australian regional local health networks
Our regional local health networks provide health services from more than 65 locations across the beautiful, vast state of South Australia. Clinical placements in rural and remote locations offer a wide range of experiences that differ from those offered in metropolitan settings. Rural and remote placements are an opportunity for students to experience life in a country community while gaining an understanding of different healthcare models and specific health care needs of rural and remote populations.
Placement in regional health provides a wide range of learning opportunities that support preparation of work ready, competent, resilient and adaptable clinicians.
This page is designed to help you prepare and make the most of a regional placement.
Discover the benefits of a clinical placement with regional local health networks
Find out what other health discipline students say about their experiences on a regional placement, by watching these videos
Preparation for regional health placements
When preparing for a clinical placement in South Australian regional health, there are a number of factors to consider such as the financial impact of living away from home, access to local accommodation and transport needs. There is also limited and/or no public transport available in regional sites. Students need to ensure they can get to and from placement, particularly when shift work is a requirement.
Preparation needs to be made well before the start date of placement.
Students must consult with their education provider prior to placement to ensure they have completed all necessary pre-placement requirements.
Information about regional health services are available on our regional local health network pages below:
- Barossa Hills Fleurieu Local Health Network
- Eyre and Far North Local Health Network
- Flinders and Upper North Local Health Network
- Limestone Coast Local Health Network
- Riverland Mallee Coorong Local Health Network
- Yorke and Northern Local Health Network Yorke and Northern Local Health Network
Hints and tips are available on the My Licence website from the Department of Transport to assist students driving in the country.
Support for Students
There are a range of supports available for students who undertake regional placements.
An education provider will be able to provide initial information.
- Flinders Rural Health South Australia - Flinders University
- University of South Australia - Department of Rural Health
- Contact your university/education provider regarding possible scholarships and grants
- Visit the Country Health SA scholarships page
SA Rural Student Health Club
- Rural Health Association for University of South Australia (ROUSTAH)
- Flinders University Rural Health Society
National Rural Health Students Network
Visit the National Rural Health Students Network website