Obtaining financial oversight - NALHN research projects
It is a requirement that all researchers obtain approval for their project’s budget from the LHN Business Consultant if they are:
- planning to undertake a research project at SA Health; or
- planning to utilise SA Health resources to undertake a research project
A budget review is required to ensure approval of your Governance submission. The budget review process demonstrates to the Research Governance Office (RGO):
- the financial viability of each project; and
- ensures all charges associated with the project have been appropriately approved.
Please make a time to see the Business Consultant aligned to the Principal Investigator to discuss the study budget and cost allocations. You should take the following documents with you to your meeting with the Business Consultant.
- A draft version of the CTRA and your study Budget (labour time, project expenses reflecting the cost of running the study at this site)
- Project protocol (including what protocol specific procedures are above standard of care in NALHN as determined by the PI)
- Statement of support or approval from each Head of Department to be used to conduct the study and their costs (if applicable)
- SA Health Cost Centre number
- Expected number of participants
Questions that will need to be answered in the budget review process are:
- What resources will SA Health have to contribute to conduct the project?
- How will the cost of these resources be funded?
- How will this impact the rest of your work area?
The Business Consultant will endorse your project for the Director of Finance/Divisional Director’s authorisation. Evidence of email correspondence endorsing your project, or the Business Consultant’s signature on the SSA form must be provided to the RGO when submitting your SSA.
For Clinical Trials, once authorised by the Business Consultant the Sponsor can proceed to execute the agreement and provide the partially executed agreements (x 3 originals) for inclusion in your SSA submission.