TIER (Transform, Inspire, Engage and Redesign) Leadership and Management Program
The TIER Leadership and Management Program (referred to from here on as the Program) is an 11 month training program that aims to develop Nursing and Midwifery Unit Managers and those in leadership positions to build their capacity to more confidently and effectively lead and manage people and business operations within their workplaces.
The Program has been mapped to and supports the Department of Health and Wellbeing’s Leadership and Management Capability Framework and will support the individuals department in the delivery of the SA Health Strategic Plan, by building capability and capacity of the nursing and midwifery profession in the domains of leadership. The Program focuses on 2 set themes, leadership capacity and people and business management.
Intended learning outcomes for both themes are detailed below:
Leading self and others
Develop an understanding of political climates that impact health
- Develop and apply strategies on fixed and growth mindsets preparing for change
- Develop a greater self-awareness in communication to facilitate negotiations, productivity and performance
- Demonstrate the key tenants of transformational leadership in practice
- Demonstrate and apply principles of shared governance
- Build and sustain a constructive, motivated and engaged workplace culture
- Develop resilience in turbulent and changing health environments
Develop and apply the principles of emotional intelligence into leadership practices.
People and business management
Develop and apply strategies in the management of people with diverse personality and generation profiles
- Demonstrate confidence and agility in conflict management
- Effectively manage operational aspects of recruitment, retention and performance management
- Demonstrate compliant staff rostering and resourcing activities to enterprise and industrial requirements
- Demonstrate effective strategies in coaching and mentoring to support high performing teams
- Demonstrate and apply strategies to positively influence decision makers
- Understand revenue streams in health and the impact of decisions on business outcomes
- Develop and apply the principles of design thinking to shape and re shape systems of operation
- Develop and apply the principles of mindfulness and lean thinking into operational effectiveness
- Apply business acumen and financial management principles to operational effectiveness
- Understand and navigate data management systems to drive evidenced based decisions.
In addition the program will be supported by a one week intensive leadership lab provided by the American Organisation of Nurse Executives and a one week study tour (Domestic Service Learning experience) of an exemplar site chosen within Australia.
This site will be matched, as best as practical, to the applicants current practice setting.
100% attendance is required for this program. The following dates are scheduled for the first cohort beginning in February 2019. Before applying, it is CRITICAL that all leave is taken around these dates.
February - Thursday 7th and Friday 8th
March - Thursday 14th and Friday 15th
Intensive dates to be confirmed
April - Domestic service learning experience 7th – 15th
May - Thursday 23rd and Friday 24th
June - Thursday 13th and Friday 14th
July - Thursday 11th and Friday 12th
August - Thursday 8th and Friday 9th
September - Thursday 12th and Friday 13th
October - Thursday 10th and Friday 11th
November - Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd
December - Thursday 6th and Friday 7th
For eligibility criteria and further information about the program, please refer to the TIER Leadership and Management FACT sheet (PDF 275KB).
The application form is available here: TIER Leadership and Management APPLICATION form (DOTM 325KB).
Applications open: 17 December 2018
Applications close: 5.00 pm 28 December 2018
Applicants notified: 7 January 2019
Submitting your application
To apply for the Program, you are required to complete the TIER Leadership and Management APPLICATION form.
Please note, you will be required to use a workplace computer to begin and complete the application process as these forms are only available on the SA Health intranet and are not available in the public domain. You will need to also open your outlook email account to submit the form automatically via email.
The TIER Leadership and Management Program is available to Public Sector nurses and midwives only.
Contact the TIER Program Coordinator in the Nursing and Midwifery Office on (08) 8226 6333 or via email at ScottD.King@sa.gov.au