GPs provide a range of services, including:
- Diagnosis and treatment of medical problems
- Chronic disease management for conditions such as diabetes
- Treatment of minor injuries
- Prescriptions for medicines
- Preventative immunisations
- Travel vaccinations
- Contraceptive and sexual health advice
- Mental Health Treatment Plans
- General health advice
- Advice and guidance on healthy lifestyle choices
- Referrals to other health and social services.
If the GP thinks a higher level of treatment is needed they will recommend an Emergency Department.
GPs can develop a Mental Health Treatment Plan to manage mental health conditions. For assistance in a mental health emergency, contact the mental health triage service - telephone 13 14 65 available 24 hours, seven days a week. Other mental health services
may also be useful.