Referral to emergency
If any of the following are present or suspected, please refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
For clinical advice, please telephone the relevant metropolitan Local Health Network switchboard and ask to speak to the relevant specialty service.
Women's and Children's Health Network
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital (08) 8161 7000
- Burn scars, refer using Burn Scars - adult and paediatric CPC
Category 1 - appointment clinically indicated within 30 days
Category 2 — appointment clinically indicated within 90 days
- hypertrophic scar
- keloid scar
- scar contractures with functional impairment
- scar revision and management
Category 3 — appointment clinically indicated within 365 days
- scar without functional impairment
For information on referral forms and how to import them, please view general referral information.
Essential referral information
Completion required before first appointment to ensure patients are ready for care. Please indicate in the referral if the patient is unable to access mandatory tests or investigations as they incur a cost or are unavailable locally.
- identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- identify within your referral if you feel your patient is from a vulnerable population and/or requires a third party to receive correspondence on their behalf
- interpreter requirements
- child/parents demographic information including best contact details
- past medical/surgical history
- current medications and dosages
- allergies and sensitivities
- presenting symptoms
- management history including:
- onset and duration
- associated features, e.g. functional impairment and range of motion
- treatments trialled/implemented prior to referral
- photograph, including disposable measurement tool – with patient’s consent, where secure image transfer, identification and storage is possible
Clinical management advice
Burn scars should always be referred to the Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) burns service for ongoing treatment and management.
This is a guideline for outpatient referral only. If you have clinical concerns, please contact the WCH Plastic and Reconstructive surgery service via switchboard on (08) 8161 7000