Referral to emergency
If any of the following are present or suspected, please refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
For clinical advice, please telephone the relevant metropolitan Local Health Network switchboard and ask to speak to the relevant specialty service.
Women's and Children's Health Network
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital (08) 8161 7000
Category 1 - appointment clinically indicated within 30 days
Category 2 — appointment clinically indicated within 90 days
- significant plagiocephaly unresponsive to positioning
- presence of torticollis
Category 3 — appointment clinically indicated within 365 days
For information on referral forms and how to import them, please view general referral information.
Essential referral information
Completion required before first appointment to ensure patients are ready for care. Please indicate in the referral if the patient is unable to access mandatory tests or investigations as they incur a cost or are unavailable locally.
- identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- identify within your referral if you feel your patient is from a vulnerable population and/or requires a third party to receive correspondence on their behalf
- interpreter requirements
- child/parents demographic information including best contact details
- past medical/surgical history
- current medications and dosages
- allergies and sensitivities
- presenting symptoms including description of abnormal head shape and severity
- previous management/treatment trialled including:
- repositioning regime
- previous exercises trialled and outcome
- allied health involvement and relevant reports
- use of helmet orthosis
- skull X-ray
If the patient requires urgent attention and/or fulfils category 1 triage criteria, please contact the on-call registrar to discuss and ensure your referral has been received.
Please note this is a guideline for outpatient referral only. If you have clinical concerns, please contact the Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) Cleft & Craniofacial SA service via switchboard on (08) 8161 7000.