Referral to emergency
If any of the following are present or suspected, please refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
For clinical advice, please telephone the relevant metropolitan Local Health Network switchboard and ask to speak to the relevant specialty service.
Women's and Children's Health Network
- Women’s and Children’s Hospital (08) 8161 7000
Category 1 - appointment clinically indicated within 30 days
- cleft lip or palate (initial assessment)
Category 2 — appointment clinically indicated within 90 days
- secondary cleft lip and palate related conditions causing speech and other functional issues
- any other cleft lip and palate related referrals
Category 3 — appointment clinically indicated within 365 days
For information on referral forms and how to import them, please view general referral information.
Essential referral information
Completion required before first appointment to ensure patients are ready for care. Please indicate in the referral if the patient is unable to access mandatory tests or investigations as they incur a cost or are unavailable locally.
- identifies as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- identify within your referral if you feel your patient is from a vulnerable population and/or requires a third party to receive correspondence on their behalf
- interpreter requirements
- child/parents demographic information including best contact details
- past medical/surgical history
- current medications and dosages
- allergies and sensitivities
- presenting symptoms, evolution and duration
- imaging confirming diagnosis
Previously diagnosed patients
- previous surgical/medical management and treatment summary - including outcome of the treatment
Clinical management advice
If the patient requires urgent attention and/or fulfils category 1 triage criteria, please contact the on-call registrar to discuss and ensure your referral has been received.
Orthognathic surgery (OGS), or corrective jaw surgery is available to patients treated by Cleft & Craniofacial SA at both the Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) and the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH).
This is a guideline for outpatient referral only. If you have clinical concerns, please contact the Women’s and Children’s Hospital (WCH) Plastic and Reconstructive surgery service via switchboard on (08) 8161 7000