Special Care Nursery (SCN)
At the Lyell McEwin Hospital (LMH) Special Care Nursery (SCN) our mission is to provide comprehensive, compassionate, and family-centred care for infants who need specialized medical attention.
Our skilled team of neonatologists, nurses, midwives, and support staff are committed to ensuring the health and well-being of your baby while keeping you informed and involved in their care every step of the way.
Our Special Care Nursery offers a range of services to cater to the unique needs of each infant, including:
- Neonatal Special Care - For premature infants or those requiring advanced care, our Special Care Nursery is equipped with the latest technology and expert staff to ensure your baby receives the best possible treatment.
- Prematurity - Very preterm infants cared for at the Women's and Children's Hospital (WCH) and the Flinders Medical Centre Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (FMC NICU) are transferred to the Lyell McEwin Special Care Nursery when they are at least 31 weeks corrected age and at least 1350g in weight. The decision to transfer is individualised and involves close discussion by the Neonatal teams of each service before the transfer occurs.
- Kangaroo Care - Encouraging skin-to-skin contact between parents and their newborns, Kangaroo Care is proven to promote bonding, support breastfeeding, and improve overall infant health.
- Respiratory Support - Our facility offers specialized respiratory support for infants with respiratory distress, including Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP), High Flow, Surfactant, oxygen therapy and can facilitate home oxygen treatment if required.
- Nutritional Support - Our team of neonatologists and lactation consultants work closely with families to develop individualized feeding plans, including breastfeeding support, access to Pasteurized Human Donor Milk (for eligible infants), formula supplementation, and tube feeding assistance.
- Developmental Care - Our staff provides individualized developmental care, including physical, occupational, and speech therapy, to support your baby's growth and development.
- Discharge Planning - Our team works closely with families to prepare for the transition to home, providing resources, education, and support to ensure a smooth and successful transition.
Our highly experienced team includes:
- Neonatal Nurses and Midwives
- Speech Therapists
- Lactation Consultants
- Social Workers
- Comfort Carer Volunteers
- Home visiting Midwifery Service
- Mother Carers service
- Perinatal Mental Health
We understand the importance of family involvement in your baby's care and recovery. Our visiting hours are designed to provide ample opportunity for bonding and support.
Parents and siblings are welcome 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Siblings under 15 must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- Close family above the age of 15 are welcome between 11:00 am and 1:00 pm, 3:00 pm and 8:00 pm, 7 days a week.
For emergencies, please call 000.
We are here to support you and your family throughout your baby's stay at our Special Care Nursery.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns via the Lyell McEwin Hospital Switchboard on (08) 8182 9000.
If you have any further questions, see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for answers to common inquiries about the Special Care Nursery, including information about parking and accommodation.