The page you requested has returned a '404 page not found' error because it has been renamed, moved or deleted.
Hospital avoidance and discharge support services
The Metropolitan Referral Unit (MRU) provides a single point of contact for referral to a range of hospital avoidance and early supported discharge services.
The service can be used for clients living in the Adelaide metropolitan area.
What services are available?
Short term support is available for people at immediate risk of a public hospital presentation. The unit can also provide a safe and supported environment for patients to leave hospital earlier than otherwise possible. Services are provided in the person’s home or at a residential care facility.
The MRU is the single point of contact for referrals to SA Community Care.
Available services supported through SA Community Care include:
- nursing care
- personal care
- allied health services
- end of life care services.
Who can refer to the Metropolitan Referral Unit?
Referrals are accepted from health care professionals including:
- acute public hospital teams
- general practitioners
- residential care facilities
- South Australian Ambulance Service
- community palliative care and mental health teams.
The Metropolitan Referral Unit is open between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm, seven days a week including public holidays.
Please note that the service is not an emergency response and usual processes for emergency care should be followed.
Referrals are accepted by telephone or fax.
Referral forms are available for download below. Please fax the completed form to the number below.
- Referral form (PDF 161KB)
- Medication Authority (PDF 63KB)
- Mental health risk assessment form (PDF 91KB)
- Paediatric referral form (PDF 77KB)
- Continence device change (PDF 62KB)
- for Residential Care Facilities (PDF 213KB)
- PICC Line Management at Discharge (PDF 271KB)
- Intravenous Antibiotic Therapy with SA Community Care Program Hospital Avoidance - GP Referrals (PDF 281KB)
- Post Procedural Accommodation with SA Community Care Program (PDF 282KB)
- Urinary catheter replacement — Hospital avoidance ED and SAAS avoidance strategy for non urgent care (PDF 182KB)