Who can attend SA Dental Service clinics

SA Dental Service provides dental services for all babies and children under 18 years and eligible adults at clinics across South Australia.      

Children under 18 years

All babies, children and young people under 18 years, are welcome to attend a School Dental Service clinic.

There are no out of pocket costs for children:

  • not yet at school 
  • under 18 years, and eligible for the Medicare Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS)

Or covered by the following

  • Pensioner Concession card
  • Health Care Card
  • School Card Scheme.

A small fee applies each calendar year for dental care provided to other children. Any dental emergencies treated at a School Dental Service Clinic between check ups are also covered by this fee.

See the School dental service page for more information.

Young adults

When a person turns 18, they are no longer able to attend a school dental service clinic.  They may be able to attend a community dental service clinic. 

If a person is a holder of:

  • Pensioner Concession Card or
  • Health Care Card

They can contact their local Community Dental Service clinic to discuss dental care options.  

 If a person is not a holder of one of these cards, they will need to access dental  care from a private dentist.


Adults need to have a current Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card and live in South Australia to access dental care at SA Dental Service clinics. Adult dependents (under 19 years) of the card holder whose names are on the card, can access dental care.

A person whose name is on the card and is a partner of the card holder cannot access dental care at SA Dental Service clinics, unless they have their own Health Care Card or Pensioner Concession Card.

See adult Concession Cards accepted at SA Dental Service clinics for more information.

Please contact one of our clinics if you have questions about accessing public dental care.

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander adults 

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander adults 18 years and over and a card holder of one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card or 
  • Health Care Card 

can receive general, emergency and denture services, at no cost.

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander adults have access to priority dental care at Community Dental Service clinics.

See the Aboriginal Oral Health Program page for more information.

Adelaide Dental Hospital

Specialist dental services are available at the Adelaide Dental Hospital by referral from a SA Dental Service Community Dental Service clinic or private practitioner. 

Fees and waiting times apply for all specialist dental services.