The Risks Of Being Overweight
Today’s modern lifestyle has impacted on our ability to maintain a healthy weight.
The number of Australians who are overweight has been increasing and in fact in Australia today it is of great concern that about 70% of adults and 26% of children are carrying too much weight.
What Can Cause Us To Become Overweight?
Although there may be some genetic factors involved, the key reasons why many of us are increasing in weight include:
- eating larger serves of meals and snacks
- consuming food or drinks that are high in energy (kilojoules)
- not being as physically active.
How Does Being Overweight Affect Our Health?
Along with affecting our daily health, wellbeing, energy and fitness levels, being overweight can over time greatly increase our risk factors for health problems and diseases such as:
- type-2 diabetes
- heart disease
- high blood pressure
- high blood cholesterol levels
- gall bladder disease
- Some cancers
- sleeping problems
- sexual health problems.
How Do I Know If I Am Overweight?
It is important to check if you are a healthy weight. See the information in the Healthy weight section.
Where Do I Start To Improve My Weight And Lifestyle?
To achieve a healthier weight:
- have a good variety of healthy foods from the five food groups each day. For more information see the Healthy eating for different ages and stages and Healthy eating tips sections
- aim for two serves of fruit and five serves of vegetables each day
- only occasionally eat sugary, fatty and salty foods, and then only in small amounts
- drink fresh, clean tap water instead of sugary drinks
- make time for regular healthy meals, including having breakfast everyday
- avoid eating too quickly and stop eating when just comfortably full
- avoid crash diets
- make the healthy changes to your shopping, cooking and eating habits permanent ones
- start sitting less and moving more
- try these great tips to help you get active and stay active.
Take Some Steps Today Towards A Healthy Weight
Every little change makes a great difference!
By eating well and being active you will be well on the way to reducing your weight, and having an enjoyable and healthy lifestyle.
Check out the following websites for some more great information and ideas: