Get involved - Individuals and Community Groups
South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well is held annually 1-7 October, in line with International Day of Older Persons (1 October) to celebrate ageing well in South Australia.
The week is a time to connect with each other, celebrate life, value the older people in our lives, and discover new ways we can all age well.
Benefits of getting involved
- Celebrate the contributions and value of older people in your community
- Meet new friends and connect with your community
- Opportunity to meet people from diverse backgrounds
- Take on new roles and enhance your confidence as you share and learn new skills
- Improve your mental and physical wellbeing
- Combat feelings of loneliness and isolation
- Tackle ageism by sharing stories and raising awareness
- Raise the profile of your community as you highlight fun and interactive activities for all ages
Things to consider when planning or promoting an event
- Share Week of Ageing Well information and recruit Ageing Well Champions to support you
- Create an event checklist and agenda to keep activities on track
- Include people of all ages in your planning to ensure your event meets the needs of diverse communities
- Use simple, clear language and promote using a variety of methods (visual, digital, verbal)
- Keep it fun and interesting by providing opportunities for sharing stories and intergenerational activities
- Choose a location that is age friendly (easy to access, close to amenities)
- Decide if you want people to register for the event (to plan catering, support staff)
- Consider how you will collect feedback to make improvements for future events
Get Involved Checklist
- Subscribe to the mailing list and stay up to date with special offers, the latest news, and fun events
- Register for South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well Communications Toolkit to receive exclusive resources to promote the week within your community
- Add the email banner to your emails
- Share the Week of Ageing Well video on your website, via email, social media or TV screen
- Download Week of Ageing Well resources to promote the week, or order free hard copies by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Connect with Office for Ageing Well and SA Seniors Card and post on your social media using Week of Ageing Well images and messaging. Tag @SeniorsCardSA or use the hashtag #WeekofAgeingWell
- Like and share our social media posts
- Visit the Week of Ageing Well webpages and attend one of the featured events
- Link to the Week of Ageing Well webpages from your website
- Register your event with email@example.com so we can promote your event on our webpages
- Contact your local community centre or group and share information about South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well
- Rally others to support you to host an Ageing Well event or activity for your community (showcase your community garden, exercise or art group, school dance or other activity)
- Ask your local council or trusted service to assist with promoting your event
- Encourage intergenerational activities by reaching out to schools and other groups such as sports clubs
- If you are hosting an event or promoting the Week, keep us in the loop! We would love to see any communications you distribute through your networks. Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Download the free printable Get Involved Checklist for Individuals and Community Groups (PDF 149KB).
We would love to hear your reflections and how you contributed to South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well. Please click on the link below to complete the feedback survey.
- South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well Feedback Survey – Individuals and Community Groups
South Australia’s Week of Ageing Well is supported by Office for Ageing Well and Seniors Card, SA Health.
To find out more or ask questions, email us at email@example.com.