Fitness and exercise for adults
Being physically active and limiting your sedentary behaviour every day is essential for your health and well-being. All it takes is between 2½ and 5 hours of moderate physical activity or 1 ¼ to 2 ½ hours of vigorous activity (or a combination of both) a week for adults. So what’s stopping you?
There are lots of ways that you can be more physically active throughout the day, including:
- use the stairs instead of the escalator or lift
- get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
- catch up with friends for a walk rather than sitting to chat
- plan outdoor activities such as bike riding or walking
- try some indoor activities such as dancing, indoor swimming, squash etc
- enjoy a game of tennis with friends
- turn off the tv during the day and get out in the garden.