How do I know if I have tooth decay?
- White, chalky lines near the gumline are one of the first signs of tooth decay.
- Brown or black spots or holes may be present on the surface of your tooth.
- Your tooth may feel sore or be very sensitive to hot, cold, or sweet foods and drinks.
- Sometimes only a dental professional can advise if you have tooth decay.
How is tooth decay treated?
Your dental professional will talk to you about the best treatment for your tooth. Depending
on the severity of the tooth decay, treatment options vary and may range from a filling to root
canal treatment or extraction.
To help prevent tooth decay:
- Use a small, soft toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste to clean your teeth and gums.
- Brush each morning and before bed at night.
- After brushing, spit the toothpaste out, but do not rinse.
- Choose healthy snacks between mealtimes such as fruit, vegetables, reduced salt crackers and reduced fat dairy foods such as plain yoghurt and cheese.
- Avoid sugary soft drinks, energy drinks, cordial and juices.
- Plain tap water is the best drink.
- If you have any questions about this information, please discuss these with our dental staff.