Dental Health Week 2021
2 — 8 August 2021
Dental Health Week takes place in the first week of August each year.
We are excited to announce that the theme for 2021 is:
Keep your smile for life!
This dental health week, dental professionals across SA are asking all South Australians to make their mouth, teeth and gums a priority. SA Dental will be focusing on the importance of starting early and maintaining good oral health habits to help ‘Keep your smile for life’.
Healthy tooth tips
Our healthy tooth tips are:
Brush morning and night
- Brush your teeth 2 times a day (either before or after breakfast) and last thing at night, right before bedtime. The fluoride in toothpaste will stay on your teeth during the night and help make your teeth strong.
- Brush your teeth for about 2 minutes.
- After brushing, spit the toothpaste out but don’t rinse with water. The fluoride in toothpaste helps to keep your teeth strong!
- Help your children to brush their teeth until they are 8 years old.
Just a dot not a lot
- You can start using a children’s low dose fluoride toothpaste with your child from 18 months.
- From 6 years, you can swap the children’s toothpaste to any adult fluoride toothpaste.
- You only need a ‘dot’ of toothpaste, the size of a pea, on your toothbrush.
Less sugar a day, fights tooth decay
- Choose healthy snacks for you and your child like fruit, vegetables, plain yoghurt and cheese.
- Try to limit sugary foods to mealtimes. Of course, avoiding these snacks altogether is best for your teeth.
- Snacking and grazing through the day may cause tooth decay.
For teeth that glow, drink H20
- Drinking tap water helps to make teeth strong and stop tooth decay.
- Try to limit sugary drinks, like soft drink, fruit juice, flavoured milk, and cordial.
Say AHHHH at SA Dental
- From 12 months of age, you can book a dental appointment for your child.
- If you haven’t made a dental appointment for your child, book today!
- Have you used your Medicare dental benefits? See ***SA Dental information on the Child Dental Benefits Schedule to see if you have dental benefits to use.
Keep Your Smile For Life
Keep an eye out on the SA Dental Facebook page for more tips on how to look after your teeth and gums and ‘Keep your smile for life’.
Collaboration with Australian Dental Association SA Branch (ADASA)
SA Dental and the ADASA have developed a series of videos, sharing tips to remind families about the importance of looking after children’s teeth and gums from an early age.
Both SA Dental and the ADASA are encouraging families to use their Medicare Child Dental Benefits if they haven’t already done so.
The videos feature interview's with SA Dental's Dr. Amy Cao and Dr. Mark Milosevic and these will be posted on social media platforms throughout the week.
What is the most common oral health problem you see when children come in for an appointment? How does it start and how can it be treated?
What is the one piece of advice you could give parents/carers when looking after children's teeth?
What are some misconceptions about oral health and children's teeth you would like to correct?
Why do you love being an oral health professional?
What tips are important to keep your smile for life this Dental Health Week?
For more information
For more information about Dental Health Week, you can visit: