TIER (Transform, Inspire, Engage and Redesign) Leadership and Management Program
The TIER Leadership and Management Program (referred to from here on as the Program) is an 12 month training program that aims to develop Nursing and Midwifery Unit Managers and those in leadership positions to build their capacity to more confidently and effectively lead and manage people and business operations within their workplaces.
The Program has been mapped to and supports the Department of Health and Wellbeing’s Leadership and Management Capability Framework. It will support the individual’s department in the delivery of the SA Health Strategic Plan by building capability and capacity of the nursing and midwifery profession in the domains of leadership. The Program focuses on 2 set themes, leadership and people and business management.
Intended learning outcomes for both themes are detailed below:
Leading self and others
- Develop an understanding of political climates that impact health
- Develop and apply strategies on fixed and growth mindsets preparing for change
- Develop a greater self-awareness in communication to facilitate negotiations, productivity and performance
- Demonstrate the key tenants of transformational leadership in practice
- Demonstrate and apply principles of shared governance
- Build and sustain a constructive, motivated and engaged workplace culture
- Align personal values with purpose and culture
- Develop resilience in turbulent and changing health environments
- Develop and apply the principles of emotional intelligence into leadership practices.
People and business management
- Develop and apply strategies in the management of people with diverse personality and generation profiles
- Demonstrate confidence and agility in conflict management
- Effectively manage operational aspects of recruitment, retention and performance management
- Demonstrate compliant staff rostering and resourcing activities to enterprise and industrial requirements
- Demonstrate and apply strategies to positively influence decision makers
- Understand revenue streams in health and the impact of decisions on business outcomes
- Develop and apply the principles of design thinking to shape and re shape systems of operation
- Develop and apply the principles of mindfulness and lean thinking into operational effectiveness
- Apply business acumen and financial management principles to operational effectiveness
- Understand and navigate data management systems to drive evidenced based decisions.
In addition, the program will be supported with an offsite learning experience that includes intensive training and peer networking beyond SA Health.
100% attendance is required for this program.
The following dates are scheduled for the third cohort beginning in August 2021. Before applying, it is critical that all leave is taken around these dates.
2021/2022 study dates and commitments
- End June / Begin July survey pre-work
- 4 & 5 August
- 1 & 2 September
- 13 & 14 October
- 3 & 4 November
- 1 & 2 December
- 8 – 11 February (offsite)
- 2 & 3 March
- 6 & 7 April
- 4 & 5 May
- 1 & 2 June
- 6 & 7 July
- 3 & 4 August
For eligibility criteria and further information about the program, please refer to the TIER Leadership and Management FACT sheet (PDF 275KB).
Flinders University credit acknowledgment for future university study
On Friday 9 April 2021, Adjunct Associate Professor Jennifer Hurley, Chief Nurse and Midwifery Officer, SA Health and Associate Professor Christine Dennis, Course Coordinator, Health Care Management, Flinders University, signed the College of Business, Government and Law Credit Arrangement with the SA Health TIER (Transform, Inspire, Engage and Redesign) twelve month Leadership & Management Program. This provides SA Health TIER Program students with two topic credits towards the Flinders University post-graduate Health Administration awards, upon successful completion of the TIER Program.
- Applications open: 3 May 2021
- Applications close: 24 May 2021
- Applicants notified: 11 June 2021
Please note, late applications will not be accepted.
Submitting your application
To apply for the Program, you are required to complete the TIER Leadership and Management application.
Please note: you will be required to use a workplace computer to begin and complete the application process and must have an active HAD account.
The TIER Leadership and Management Program is available to Public Sector nurses and midwives only.
Contact the TIER Program Lead in the Nursing and Midwifery Office via email at Health.NursingandMidwiferyOfficeScholarships@sa.gov.au.