SA Health is committed to ensuring that the experience of all consumers using its services is as person-centered and positive as possible. It is paramount that the privacy and dignity of patients is respected at all times during their health care experience.
Effective, safe patient care, treatment and management delivered with care and respect for privacy and dignity should always be the first priority and principle in health care delivery.
All patients, staying overnight in a South Australian public hospital are to be placed in same gender accommodation, use same gender accommodation facilities and are not required to move through mixed gender areas to reach their own facilities (except when considered clinically appropriate).
Same Gender Accommodation Policy Directive and Toolkit
The SA Health Same Gender Accommodation Policy Directive and Toolkit have been developed to support all health services and clinicians to ensure same gender accommodation is available by applying the patient centred care principles which includes respecting the patients’ values, preferences and expressed needs prior to their admission.
This policy directive is to be read and administered in conjunction with the same gender accommodation policy directive toolkit.
- SA Health Same Gender Accommodation Policy Directive (PDF 415KB)
- A Guide to Using the Policy Directive and Toolkit (PDF 106KB)
- Same Gender Accommodation Toolkit Contents Page (PDF 312KB)
- Tool 1 – Guide to Same Gender Accommodation (PDF 124KB)
- Tool 2 – Clinically appropriate – Critical Care and Short Stay Unit (PDF 100KB)
- Tool 3 – Operating Rooms and Recovery (PDF 97KB)
- Tool 4 – promoting a child save environment - Children and Adolescent Unit (PDF 99KB)
- Tool 5 – Mental Health Service patients - Same Gender accommodation (PDF 99KB)
- Tool 6 – Mixed Gender Accommodation – Short term arrangements (PDF 100KB)
- Tool 7 – How to report an incident or complaint on inability to provide same gender accommodation (PDF 99KB)
- Tool 8 – Consumer information on respecting your privacy and dignity with patient-centred care principles (PDF 279KB)
- Tool 9 – Staff information on respecting patients’ privacy and dignity with patient-centred (PDF 119KB)
- Tool 10 – Same Gender Flow Chart (PDF 47KB)
- Tool 11 – Same Gender Accommodation Assessment Checklist (PDF 54KB)
- Tool 12 – Audit Tool (PDF 100KB)
- Tool 13 – Fact Sheet on Respecting patient privacy and dignity with patient-centred care principles (PDF 65KB)