Dental Assistant Traineeships
A Dental Assistant (DA) Traineeship is a 12-month program incorporating on the job training under supervision to develop the competency and skills required of a qualified Dental Assistant in addition to undertaking the Certificate 3 in Dental Assisting at TAFE SA.
A probationary period applies during which time both the Trainee and the employer assess their suitability for the 12-month program.
During the 12-month training program, Trainee Dental Assistants learn and develop the skills to:
- Provide chair-side dental assistance to dental practitioners
- Prepare dental materials and equipment
- Process, prepare and save radiographs
- Maintain and promote infection control and contribute to reprocessing of reusable medical devices
- Assist with oral health education as directed by the dental practitioner
- Assist with routine administrative tasks including greeting clients, making appointments, answering telephone calls and entering patient details into records.
The DA Traineeship involves working closely with dental operators and their clients therefore communication skills and a willingness to learn about and assist in the oral health management of clients are essential.
At the completion of the 12-month training program, Dental Assistant Trainees will have developed skills to enable them to gain their DA qualification to work in a diverse range of environments such as general and specialty areas, teaching clinics and aged care.
To be considered for a SA Dental Service Traineeship, candidates must be:
- A resident of South Australia
- Aged between 17 and 24 years of age or 17 and 30 years of age if you are of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent.
- Have completed Year 11 as a minimum
The more opportunities to learn, the better
Karen recently graduated as a Dental Assistant and reveals how much she values her traineeship with SA Dental Service and where it has already taken her in her career.
Karen - testimonial
Hi, I'm Karen, I recently graduated as a Dental Assistant, The Traineeship offered by SA Dental Service seemed almost too good to be true; you've got to love training on the job and being paid for it. Trainers and mentors stayed with me until I was confident to do things on my own. Working for SA Dental Service is great, you don't have to leave and go elsewhere to gain experience - you continually build on your knowledge and skills to keep on learning. Read more of Karen's story
If you'd like to enjoy a rewarding, long-term career path with SA Dental Service, talk to us.
Talk to us about employment opportunities:
Attraction & Retention Unit
South Australian Dental Service
61 8 7117 0119
Job Ref: 758854 Trainee Dental Assistant 2022
Opening date 27th Aug 21 and closing 19th Sept 21.
SA Dental Service recruits for the Dental Assistant Traineeships positions once per year, the timeframe for the recruitment process is listed below:
The Dental Assistant advert will be online for 3 weeks on the SA Health Careers website commencing 28th August 2020
The application link will be included under Current Vacancies during that time
Applications must be lodged online and close on 18th September 2020.
Early October 2020
- Written Assessment for applicants
Late October 2020
- Interviews conducted for shortlisted external applicants
Early November 2020
- Offers made
- Pre-employment paperwork and mandatory checks undertaken
- 2021 group commences their 12 month Dental Assistant Traineeship program.