Under the Wastewater Regulations, a person must not sell a system for use as an on-site wastewater system unless the system is the subject of a product approval by SA Health. Onsite wastewater systems include:
- pre-manufactured septic tanks
- aerobic units of various materials and designs
- other all-waste wastewater systems
- greywater systems
- composting toilets
- blackwater/toilet waste systems.
Approved products generally serve domestic properties but larger commercial systems also require approval for individual use or as a product.
See the following for a list of approved products for marketing, sale and installation in South Australia:
- Septic and holding tanks (PDF 139KB)
- Aerated wastewater treatment systems (PDF 176KB)
- Alternative wastewater treatment systems (PDF 96KB)
- Blackwater systems (PDF 112KB), includes composting, chemical and hybrid toilets
- Greywater systems (PDF 125KB), includes greywater diversion and greywater treatment solutions
- Ancillary equipment (PDF 146KB)
- Effluent disposal systems (PDF 88KB)
Seeking product approval
An application for approval to manufacture and sell a wastewater system in South Australia (PDF 36KB) must be submitted to SA Health's Wastewater Management Section and be accompanied by the necessary relevant information and fee.
Any modification or variations of the approved design will require a formal application to the DHA for separate consideration and variation of approval, which may require further documentation and/or product testing.
For assistance with completing the approval form, or for further information:
- contact SA Health's Wastewater Management Section on (08) 8226 7100
- refer to chapter 12 of the Onsite Wastewater Systems Code (PDF 111KB).