Independent review into digital screening mammograms
The independent rereading of 53,104 mammograms has been completed as part of the independent review into aspects of BreastScreen SA’s digital screening process.
Independent radiologists from New South Wales and Victoria have re-examined cleared digital screening images undertaken at BreastScreen SA clinics between 6 September 2010 and 30 June 2012.
BreastScreen SA has contacted women as the review has progressed either by letter or by phone to inform them of their individual result. The process is now complete.
The review is being led by BreastScreen NSW’s State Radiologist, Associate Professor Warwick Lee, who will now analyse the findings and is expected to complete his report by the end of May. SA Health will then analyse the findings.
For further information, support or counselling please contact the BreastScreen SA information line on (08) 8366 0266.
The information line is open between 8.00 am and 7.00 pm Monday to Friday.
Why a review was needed
The independent review into digital screening was commissioned in December 2012 following lower than expected breast cancer detection rates in comparison to past statistical trends and coinciding with the introduction of digital screening technology.
The review looked at aspects of the digital screening process including:
- a panel of independent radiologists re-reading cleared, stored digital mammogram images taken during the specified timeframe to check the results;
- a review of the implementation of the digital technology, the radiography services, and the picture archive, communication system and data management processes used by BreastScreen SA; and
- an audit of all the data by an epidemiologist and a re-testing of the digital technology equipment.
Who was included in the review?
- The review focused on women who had a digital screening mammogram at BreastScreen SA during the period 6 September 2010 and 30 June 2012, with a normal result.
- Those who had an analogue mammogram were not included in the review.
- Those who have had a second normal digital mammogram during the time period were not included in the review.
- Those who were recalled to the BreastScreen SA Assessment Clinic, or elected to be assessed outside the Program were not included in the review.