Where to walk yourself happy?
Remember, the great thing about walking is you can do it anytime, anywhere. To make it even easier, here are some tips on where you can walk yourself happy, with some great maps and trails or a walking group to keep you moving.
If you’d like to find walks in your local area then try the options below:
- Visit your local council or their website. They will have information on walking groups in your area, plus information on local walking trails, parks and playgrounds. For more information contact your local council via the local government directory.
- 40 Great South Australian Walks – This book has 40 walking maps from all over South Australia.
- South Australian Trails.
- A range of cycling and walking maps are available from the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure.
Find a walking group
Want some motivation? Keen to meet new people? Why not join a walking group? Being part of a walking group can help to get us started and keep us going. It provides an opportunity to meet new people and discover new walks. Walking groups can provide the extra support to achieve your physical activity goals and can help you get motivated.
Visit these sites to find walks near you:
- Walking SA
- Heart Foundation walking provides:
- an easy, accessible way to stay physically active
- social contact and community spirit
- a safe way to be healthy
- regular newsletters, which include health information
- encouragement and incentives to keep walking
- visit the Heart Foundation website or call 1300 36 27 87.
Start your own!
Why not start a walking group with the parents at your children’s school or a group of friends? Or instead of watching your children at sport training, get the other parents together for a walk.
Map a walk
- Plan your walk on google before you set out
- Search for local walks.
So take every opportunity to be active because each step you take is making you healthier and happier.